Summer Heat Wave - County Cooling Centers
The First Day of Summer is June 20, 2017. With a heat wave sweeping inland, we are providing you with the Los Angeles County 2017 Cooling Center List and some helpful tips to beat the heat.
- Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest.
- Reduce physical activity.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors
- Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
- Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don’t have air-conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air conditioned facility.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
- Use sun screen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
- Don’t forget about your pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
Insulate your home by installing weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the cool air inside.